Coverings Reveals Top 10 Tile Trends for 2022
The release of the tile trends commemorates National Tile Day, which is Feb. 23, 2022, celebrating the beauty of tile. The trends also provide a sneak peek of the immersive tile displays at Coverings 2022, which is set to take place April 5-8, 2022, at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
1. Baroque Tile Trend
In the 17th century, the Baroque style dominated European art and architecture, defined by a sense of movement and grandeur. Similarly, these tiles are full of exuberance, particularly when produced on floor-to-ceiling porcelain slabs. Many tile manufacturers are producing dramatic marble looks with striking colors and heavy veining while others offer luxurious tiles with gold detailing and reflective surfaces.
2. Bas Relief Tile Trend
From rounded edges that simulate ancient stone to low relief that add depth and structure, manufacturers have invested heavily in new technologies this past year to create ceramic and porcelain tiles that break through the third dimension.
3. Captivating Colors Tile Trend, with three palettes:
- “Celebrating Ceramics in Color” – The industry is circling back to some intriguing classics from centuries past. These are ceramics that are not trying to mimic anything, instead honoring the rich and artisanal history of this material and industry such as weathered edges, classic glaze techniques and traditional patterns. This celebration of ceramic roots plays beautifully with preceding trends and is often seen in soft color tones like greens with twilight undertones, peachy- and chestnut-brown terra cotta hues, creamy tans, sandy beiges, and even Santorini Blue.
- “Earthy Jewel Tones” – Because of the pandemic quarantine, the world is ready to invite more natural colors into the home and onto the walls. Jewel tones that can be found in nature, including amber, brick, emerald, and aquamarine hues, are popular palettes for tile in 2022. Leafy greens and rich clay colors give us a grounded connection to the outdoors.
- “Pastels” – Dovetailing with a ubiquitous feeling of romanticism, ceramic manufacturers are incorporating pastel colors like sage, mint, rose, and sky blue to their collections, which add a soothing and organic effect to interiors. These hues also fit into larger color trends in the industry such as Colors of the Year.
4. Crisp & Clean Tile Trend
During this new era of ceramic design, a more delicate approach will run parallel with artisanal textures and organic materials. Smooth compositions, hushed textures and minimalistic patterns will lend a sense of balance. The seeming dissonance in style serves to highlight and praise differences by showcasing unlikely pairings throughout designs and the harmony that can be found.
5. Golden Arches Tile Trend
Curvaceous forms of arches and softly rounded rectangles that characterize art deco design find a niche in 2022’s design language. A nod to organic shapes while retaining the straight gridlines of a tile matrix, these curves bring a sense of whimsy and approachability to even the most austere and luxurious aesthetics.
6. Murals Tile Trend
With extra-large sizes and super-thin profiles, ceramic tile is becoming an increasingly attractive alternative to wallpaper. Many manufacturers offer large portfolios of patterns to choose from, including large florals and historical patterns like toile, chinoiserie, and damask, showcasing the artistic capabilities of designers combined with the durable advantages of porcelain.
7. Plaster Looks Tile Trend
Thanks to the current trend toward nature and earthy elements, textured wall treatments are having a resurgence. Most notably, are the textural appearance and subtle color variations that replicate the artistic layering of plaster. Plaster looks bring an immediate warmth and richness to walls as well as an artisanal touch.
8. Polarized Marble Tile Trend
While white marbles still reign supreme, the fierce stone look of the past takes a back seat to the refined spectrum of the marbleized look. This new approach retains the organic variation of a veined stone with an overall aesthetic that is more homogenic with a symphony of texture, finish and effects.
9. Shapes Scaled Tile Trend
As last year brought oversized hexagons, 2022 brings various, other oversized shapes, such as triangles, diamonds and parallelograms, as well as their counterparts: pocket-sized hexagons and polygons. Configured in eye-catching patterns, these shapes of various scales offer a contemporary twist on a classic design element. They are the perfect complement to standard square and rectangular field tiles.
10. Warm Stones Tile Trend
Stone looks are a great way to add natural allure and texture to a space. With the general warming up of color palettes the past few years, it should only follow that stone looks are also heating up, color-wise.
Coverings 2022 is complimentary and offers attendees opportunities to experience North America’s largest international tile exposition, attend educational sessions with free Continuing Education Credits (CEUs), see live demonstrations, network with industry peers, and enjoy the world-famous Las Vegas nightlife.
For more information and to register for Coverings 2022 at no cost, visit coverings.com